My budding love of teaching, stemming from my larger love of math and learning

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Over Teaching?

What does this mean?

As a sit on my couch on a Saturday night and write my lesson plans for the week, a comment made to me during PTCs keeps running through my head.

I had a parent say to me that her daughter (who, mind you, is 15 years old) made a comment that I was over teaching. I was shocked to say the least, but my response back was this, "I teach to the mid-level student, you daughter is slightly above the mid-level student. I follow the curriculum in the book, and I do examples that support that curriculum".

I usually discuss content definitions/theorems and then do 3-5 examples depending on the content. I make the students think about the next step in each problem and then tell me what should be done. I want it to be more hands on, but I have been told to pick up the pace, so I am doing the best I can with the time restraints given to me.

Now, I ask you...what is over teaching?

1 comment:

  1. You should ask her...it means something different to everyone. :-)

    ReplyDelete