My budding love of teaching, stemming from my larger love of math and learning

Monday, October 18, 2010

Struggling with In Class Examples

I am struggling with in class examples. I am not sure what to do. Here's my problem: Algebra examples are easy for the kids to copy because it is usually an equation/expression or a short prompt. Geometry examples tend to be much longer and my students are not quick with the quill if you know what I mean. So what do I do? I have been getting phone calls from parents (ok just one parent) saying that I have not gone over concepts prior to assigning HW, which I know is not the case and typically spread a lesson over two days to make sure that we spend time on examples.
I would love to be able to give each student a copy of the ppt slides (I do this so that I don't have to write every example, and project it directly to my white board. I am toying with the idea of giving each student a half of sheet of paper with the prompts. But in this time of budget crunches...can I really use all that paper.
I don't do the book problems because I have found that students don't pay attention or process the information as well because the answers are right there, so I use the additional examples from the Teacher's addition.

What do I do?

3 comments:

  1. Don't know if this will help or not, but i have each student bring a pack of computer paper as part of their supplies at beginning of year. I then give them a copy of the notes each day. It is all the examples we will be doing in class with all the pictures or graphics already there. All students have to do is fill in the steps as we go. It takes a little work on my part, but the students really like it and I find it really helps students with sped accomadations, 504 students with Dyslexia, and many other types of learning disabilities. Like you, I have given up using the examples in the textbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a great idea, and I will run it by my admin for my supply list next year, but not sure that I could swing it right now. Most of these kids had a hard time just getting a notebook, pencils, calculator, let along now asking them to bring in computer paper. We live in a rural community the closest place to by computer paper is over an hour away, and most families do one trip to the city in the fall for school supplies.
    And I don't think it would take that much more work on my part since I already have the ppt and I actually print out a copy as my notes for the day.
    I like the idea and hope to use it in the future. THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have said screw it on the paper. There are some students that really need to have these figures in front of their face. There are some students who think it is stupid, but they think everything is stupid, and I can't win with them.
    If I keep it to a half of sheet of paper, it should be ok.

    ReplyDelete